Bulgur filled cheese pastry is a characteristic and popular dish of Edirne cuisine. pastryis The dominant ingredient in this recipe is actually bulgur. However, in order to distinguish it from the bulgur recipes found in other regional cuisines, we decided to name it together with the other main ingredient, cheese. Because Turkey is on the flavor map Edirne white cheese It is also an important determining element of the local cuisine. There is no restriction on the form of this pastry, which is prepared with hand rolled yufka. It is more common to form a Bosnian pastry or a sleeve pastry by wrapping the rolled-up phyllo dough out of the middle of the pan, with a pastry mortar inside. In terms of ease of service, we sometimes come across that it is prepared in portions, like a rose pastry. Although sheep cheese is preferred as cheese, those who cannot find it can add medium hard Edirne white cheese or cheese known as sour cream in the region.
Not : It is also possible to prepare the recipe we have given here, as it is in Edirne local cuisine, by omitting the cheese and adding roasted ground beef instead.
- Flour measure from the master
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 3 eggs / Salt / Warm water
- 2 cups bulgur with meatballs
- 2 cups shredded sheep cheese
- 2 medium onions
- 2 green peppers
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt, black pepper, dried mint, paprika
- Sesame, black cumin
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- Oil (for dough, mortar and on)
Preparation of :
- Pool the flour and break 3 eggs in the middle. Add the lard and salt. With the controlled addition of warm water, obtain an earlobe-like, concise dough.
- Let your dough rest under a cloth cover for half an hour.
- Cut 6-8 meringues the size of a small apple from the dough and knead them lightly with your hands. again rest for half an hour under a cloth cover.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling for your bulgur and cheese pastry.
- Chop the onions finely and sweat them in the pan with the oil.
- Add the seed beds cleaned and finely chopped green peppers and fry lightly.
- Add your sorted and washed bulgur and turn it once or twice.
- Add your tomato paste to the ingredients and lightly remove the smell.
- Add the spices as desired (those who like it hot can add chili pepper, those who don’t like it can ignore it) and add enough hot water to cover the bulgur by a finger.
- Put on low heat, close the lid and click for 5-6 minutes. Then turn off the fire and let the bulgur swell on its own and brew it as if you were preparing it like a fresh pilaf.
- Take your prepared bulgur pilaf in a wide bowl and let it cool by airing.
- Add your broken cheese to your rice and let it spread all over by airing it.
- From the meringues you rested, roll out table-sized pastry dough.
- Cut each phyllo in the middle to get two semicircular phyllo.
- Drizzle oil over them with the tip of your spoon and spread them lightly with your hand.
- From a few fingers ahead of the flat part you cut, lay it from your inner mortar and wrap it in a roll.
- Gently knot the ends of your rolls so that they do not open, and stretch the roll by pulling lightly with your palm.
- Starting from the middle of a greased pan, roll it in the form of a Bosnian pastry. Insert each new roll to the end of the tray, continuing from where the other one ended.
- Not : Depending on your desire, you can arrange them in the form of portioned rose pastry from each roll or, if you are using a square-rectangular baking tray, in the form of parallel sleeve pastries.
- Whisk two eggs with a cup of vegetable oil and half a glass of yoghurt and brush well on the pastry.
- Sprinkle with sesame and black cumin, if desired, and bake in a medium-heated oven until the top and bottom are golden brown.
- Take your pastry out of the oven aside, drizzle a few taps of water on it with your fingertips, and let it cool under a cloth cover.
- Not : Since the cloth cover takes air, it prevents your pastry from getting sweaty and flattened. If we make a mistake by covering another tray on it, our pastries will be flatter and sweatier.
- Slice and serve warm.